On Saturday, March 29, 2014, Vox Culture hosted the second event from our Proclaiming Humanity series, “Breaking Silence”! “Breaking Silence”, conducted in partnership with the Tahirih Justice Center featured breakdancing by Break Free Community Center, a poetry reading by Samira R. Noorali, and a panel discussion with experts on domestic violence from Houston’s increasingly diverse population:
• Anne Chandler, JD – Houston Director, Tahirih Justice Center
• Mustafaa Carroll – Executive Director, Texas chapter of CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations)
• Bibi Khan – President, An-nisa Hope Center
• Abhilasha Vineet – Director of Community Education & Outreach, DAYA
• Cristal Cervantes – Community Educator, HAWC (Houston Area Women’s Center)
These five inspirational leaders spoke on domestic violence and its impact on the Houston population, specifically within the communities they represented. A Q&A period followed their brief presentations.